giovedì 19 febbraio 2009

Ren and...the 7th continent: Antarctica!!!!!

9.31am, 19th february, Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, excited

Yes, excited....this is gonna be the trip of a lifetime! Just 35000 people per year visit Antarctica...and I'm gonna be one of those!!!
The day I decided to take these 3 months off I already had in mind to go all the way there, then I booked the trip, but still seemed far away but now not...I need to board my icebreaker between 4pm and 5pm, and there off we go, me and another 47 crazy people like me. 10 days, crossing the Drake passage, and landing in Antarctica, on some of those 2% of land it has, then on the ice, seeing penguins, whales, albatross and whatever else. We checked the weather this morning, somewhere at a research station it's 2 degrees above zero, so not that cold! Better than the south pole: -47 C!!! (but I won't go there!).
There's a girl I met a couple of days ago and she might join as well if there are still places available, there are last minutes much cheaper than what I payed, but I'm happy to know I'm going, I would have been too disappointed not making it in case I could come here and no offers, so whatever, the money will be terribly worth!

Anyway, all this is just to say that I will be offline for the next 10 days, no chance to connect to gmail from there. So no worries and be ready for the very very long mails I will be writing during the trip and you will be receiving starting the 28th february!!!!!!

My icebreaker is already al the harbour, I could see it from the window of my room this morning when I woke up. It's the Grigoriy Mikheev, check out this link http://www.lastfrontiers.com/hoteldetail.php?id=603 you can imagine me there for the next 10 days!

Right, time to set off for last shopping (sunglasses, sea sickness pills, book, antarctic equipment for landings, ...)and then..ready!!!

Take care, please keep writing me and I will read when I'm back.

AntarcticRen

Nessun commento: